This healthier and vegan version of nutella is seriously delicious and decadent. I have tried my hand at making a healthy version of nutella a few times and came to the conclusion that you can only make it so healthy if you still want the creamy, smooth, and rich consistency of its namesake. Thats where the melted chocolate chips come in, it just isn't the same without them and I have found many varieties of dark chocolate chips that have very minimal, and clean ingredients. This recipe also requires soaking raw hazelnuts for 8-12 hours, I recommend doing it overnight and starting the soak with boiling hot water, this allows for them to blend much easier as well as creating a smoother consistency overall. Once the hazelnuts are soaked, and the chocolate is melted this recipe is as simple as throwing a few ingredients into a blender and letting the mixture get super smooth. Then feel free to use it in whichever way you'd like, for dipping strawberries, topping pancakes & waffles, or simply spooning it straight out of the jar.
Makes 1 1/2 cups of nutella
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU'LL NEED
- 1/2 cup raw hazelnuts soaked in hot water for 8-12 hours
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- Put the soaked hazelnuts and water in a high powered blender or food processor and blend on high for 2-3 minutes until the hazelnuts are pulverized and a relatively smooth texture has formed. You may need to scrape down the sides periodically to ensure all of the nuts are getting blended.
- While the blender is running you can begin the process of melting the chocolate chips: Begin by filling a small pot about a quarter of the way with water, and place on the stove top on high heat. Allow the water to come to a boil and then place a heat safe bowl on top of the pot; the bottom of the bowl should not touch the surface of the water. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down to medium and add the chocolate chips to the bowl, stir the chocolate chips as they melt and be sure not to let any water get into the bowl with the chocolate chips. Once they have fully melted, use a rubber scraper to add the melted chocolate to the blender. Blend on medium right away to combine before the chocolate can harden.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend on high for at least 5 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached. It is important to give the mixture time to smooth out, so be patient and continue scraping down the sides as needed.
- Once your desired consistency is reached, pour the mixture into a glass jar and allow to set over night for a thicker consistency. If you want a runnier consistency then you can skip this step and use the nutella straight away on pancakes, waffles, etc. But you must store the mixture in the fridge. If you would like to use it at a later date and desire a runnier consistency, simply put the glass jar in a pot of boiled water and stir until the nutella becomes a liquid.