Easy Sweet and Smokey Vegan Chili
This is my go to meal when I want something flavorful and hearty but I don't necessarily want to spend much time in front of the stove as it only takes about 35 minutes to put together. It is such a healthy dish, chock full of veggies and beans for protein. It is sweet from the maple syrup and smoky from the paprika and I absolutely adore that combination. I love serving it with oven roasted gold potatoes but brown rice or quinoa are great options too.
Another one of my favorite parings for this chili is baked tortillas, they have all the satisfaction and crunch of store bought tortilla chips but without any of the oil from a deep fryer. I just cut tortillas up into triangles and bake them for 5-10 minutes at 450º Fahrenheit, how long you bake them depends on how crunchy you want them.
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU'LL NEED
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tomato roughly chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic and all spices to a sauce pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the onions are translucent about 5-8 minutes. Add water to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Add the tomato, tomato sauce, beans, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar to the pot. Stir well and turn to medium-low heat. Cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the chili is finished add salt and pepper to taste, take off heat and serve.