Creamy Cashew "Cheese"
This creamy cashew "cheese" sauce is great not only because it is so delicious, tangy, and creamy but it is also simple to make, only requiring 5 ingredients! It can also be used in a variety of different ways, I like to spread it on crackers and in sandwiches, I even put on pasta as a kind of vegan mac & cheese of sorts(just thin it out with some water if you choose to use it on pasta). It is a great alternative to dairy based spreads, sauces, and dips as it has all the creamy satisfaction of dairy without weighing you down. This makes a lot of cheese dip, as I love having lots on hand but feel free to halve the recipe.
If you do try this out let me know, and if you take a photo tag me on instagram @bykindlykate #bykindlykate.
This recipe makes roughly 2 cups of cashew cheese sauce.
Soak time: 6-8 hours
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU'LL NEED
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Soak the cashews in filtered water in a glass container for 6-8 hours. Ideally overnight.
- Drain and rinse soaked cashews.
- Place cashews in a food processor or high speed blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Process on high for 3-4 minutes drizzling in 3-4 tbsp of water as you blend. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.