Homemade Almond Milk
I posted an Instagram story of me making almond milk last week and I had a few people ask me for the recipe so I thought I would share it on here. It is super simple to make, really you only need 2 ingredients, water & raw almonds however you can customise the milk by adding in different sweeteners and flavourings. I like making an unsweetened vanilla almond milk so that is the recipe I will share today, however you can add to the blender 2-3 dates or a tbsp of maple syrup for sweetness, cacao powder for chocolate almond milk, or even strawberries for strawberry milk. The possibilities are endless so use the recipe below for a guide and get creative when making your own!
Use this almond milk in lieu of dairy milk when baking, in smoothies, alongside a chocolate chip cookie, or have it my favourite way... poured over a bowl of granola and frozen blueberries!
If you do try these out let me know, and if you take a photo tag me on instagram @bykindlykate #bykindlykate.
*For this recipe you will need a high powdered blender like a vita-mix.
This recipe makes 5 cups of almond milk.
Soak time: 8 hours or overnight
Prep time: 1 minutes
Blend time: 4 minutes
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU'LL NEED
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 5 cups of filtered water
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- sweetener of choice *optional
- Soak the almonds for at least eight hours or overnight in a sealed jar with filtered water. Make sure the water fully covers all the almonds.
- Drain and rinse the soaked almonds in a strainer.
- Add the soaked almonds to a high powered blender with 5 cups of filtered water & blend for 1.5 minutes.
- Over a large bowl, pour the mixture into a nut milk bag, or cheesecloth. Squeeze the bag/cloth until all the liquid is extracted. Discard the pulp or save it for baking.
- Transfer the almond milk from the bowl back to the blender and add in vanilla & sweetener if using. Blend again for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.