My family holidays growing up used to always begin around our family table sharing a platter of scrambled eggs and toast but since going vegan, regardless of the occasion I keep eggs off my plate! Enter tofu scramble, it is simple to make, delicious, and makes the perfect, healthier, high protein substitute for scrambled eggs. I'm sharing with you my favourite variation, but it is so easy to modify to suit your taste by including your favourite veggies and spices.
This recipe calls for turmeric for two reasons, one it colours the tofu so it more closely resembles eggs, and I love using it as it is a great anti-inflammatory. Many diseases are caused by inflammation so it is great to get as many things in you diet that combat that as possible, in my opinion.
I also don't use any oil on the pan, that is because I rarely cook with oil as a prefer to get my fat from whole food sources. When cooking oil free I find it to be really helpful to keep a small jar of water next to the stove to pour a bit in to avoid burning and sticking, I find this useful even when using a non stick pan.
Serves 2 // Prep time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes, Total time: 25 minutes
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU'LL NEED
- 8 oz extra firm tofu cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 4 leaves of lacinato kale, de-stemmed and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt & pepper
- Begin by pressing the tofu for 15 minutes. Wrap the tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and place something heavy on top, a cast iron pan or a heavy book will do. This is to get the excess water out and I highly recommend you don't skip this part.
- While the tofu is pressing prep your veggies. Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add in the onion with 2 tbsp of water. Have a cup of water on hand to add to the pan if it looks like it is sticking, though never add more than a tbsp or 2 at a time. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes until it softens and becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic & spices to the pan and crumble in the tofu using your hands to break it into smaller pieces. Stir to combine.
- Next, add in the kale and tomatoes stir in and cook for another 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately!