Easy Vegan Chilli
I love making this when I'm not feel very inspired but still want a meal that is flavourful and hearty. Since coming up with this recipe it has become the meal I make most often, it takes about 40 minutes to come together but its so filling, comforting, and tasty. It's high in protein, thanks to the beans and so is extremely satiating, especially when paired with some avocado on top. I love serving this dish with brown rice, and steamed kale seasoned with lemon, chilli flakes, salt, & pepper. It makes a great lunch or dinner, I find myself craving it on rainy afternoons.
If you do try these out let me know, and if you take a photo tag me on instagram @bykindlykate #bykindlykate.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU WILL NEED
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn
- 6 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- black pepper
- 2 brown rice or grain of choice servings
- 2 cups kale (optional)
- chopped avocado
- freshly squeezed lime
- Cook the brown rice, or preferred grain by following the package directions for the required amount of servings. Set aside.
- Place the onion in a wok or a large frying pan and sauté over medium heat until translucent( about 4-5 minutes) adding tbsp of water at a time to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, chilli flakes, chilli powder, and coconut sugar stir and cook for about 2 minutes adding more water if required.
- Add the kidney beans, canned and fresh tomatoes, and the corn. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- If you're serving this with steamed kale, simply steam the kale until it softens and top it with 1/2 cup lime juice and a pinch of salt, pepper, and 1/4 tsp chilli flakes.
- Add the salt & pepper to taste, also at this time I may adjust spices, stir to combine, and remove from the heat.
- Serve with a side of steamed kale, warm with brown rice, and top with avocado with a squeeze of lime.