Indian Spiced Lentils
Indian food is my favorite cuisine, it is so flavorful, comforting, and warm. Lentils, known as dahl in India is my favorite Indian dish, so this meal is something I make very often. I absolutely love it! The best part about it, other than the fact that it is so yum, is that it takes less than 30 minutes to whip up. Delicious, easy to make, and good for you, this dish has it all. Serve with a side of leafy greens and you've got yourself a perfect, protein packed, and nutrient dense plant based meal!
I also sometimes enjoy this meal as more of a soup by doubling the amount of liquid I add in.
These lentils also freeze well so it makes a great dish to make a big batch to freeze and eat throughout the week or month.
If you do try this out, let me know and if you take a photo tag me on instagram @bykindlykate #bykindlykate.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU'LL NEED
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 2 1/2 cups water with dissolved bouillon cube (double for soupier texture)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- juice of 1/4 a lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- brown rice optional
- If serving with brown rice, begin by preparing the brown rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Add veggie broth, lentils and spices to a medium pot, stir to combine. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cover pot with lid stirring occasionally. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, stir in lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt, pepper, and/or red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Serve with brown rice and top with fresh parsley.